CELTIC PARK

CELTIC PARK
Celtic Park aka Paradise - Total no. of visits: over 1000

Saturday 29 July 2023

FOOTBALL FOCUS - ROY AITKEN - Friday 28 July 2023

 Question & Answer Session with a true Legend - Roy (Feed the Bear) Aitken

Venue: Barras Art and Design (BAaD)



The early part of my football match days were spent watching some great Scottish footballers, one of my all time favourites was ROY AITKEN.

Therefore it was a bit special for me to be part of the audience listening to great stories from a  terrific era in Scottish Football

Roy came across as very honest and loyal to not only his Celtic team-mates but also to his old foes from rival clubs. and even referees.

Jock Stein gave him his debut for Celtic as a 16 year old schoolboy and also made him captain for a number of games when he was still a teenager.  Then he was a huge part of Billy McNeill's Celtic teams.  He was also selected by Alex Ferguson for Scotland. Three of the most iconic men of Scottish Football.

Although I never seen the start of Roy's career it was a pleasure to watch him for almost 10 years with Celtic.  During this time I seen him win 3 league titles, 3 Scottish Cups and 1 League Cup.  His teammates included Danny McGrain, Tommy Burns, Murdo McLeod, Davie Provan, Pat Bonner, Paul McStay, Charlie Nicholas, Frank McAvennie, Mick McCarthy and Mark McGhee.

I witnessed Roy playing for Scotland many times including: 

  • captaining the nation to a 1-0 win over England at Hampden in 1985.  I was in the small schoolboy enclosure, ticket price: £2:00 got on the day of the game from the Ticket Office 
  • at the 1990 World Cup Finals in Italy in which I attended all three of Scotland's group matches

Away from football I also seen him win the Balloch Highland Game 90-metre sprint in 1983 or 84.

I was delighted when he was finally invited back into the club in an ambassador role in 2017.  There isn't anyone more fitting for the role as he has never said a bad word about the club.

Roy's Celtic career in figures - I seen 24 of his Celtic goals.


No comments:

Post a Comment